Sunday, December 16, 2012

Forty-Two Random Things

I used to not make a big deal out of birthdays, especially mine. But each year, as I have been going up in age, I realize the importance of celebrating my birthday and yes...it is a BIG deal! It is forty-two years ago today since I came into this world. I have too much to be thankful for and a day's post will not be enough to name them all. I also learned so many lessons and the one thing I have proven to be true time and time again is this: "This too, shall pass." Often, I get too wrapped-up in the moment and I allow myself to be completely consumed by a crisis, be it at work, at home, current events, health issues, worries about my family's future, or whatever it may be that I forget how every single thing is temporary. When I look back at the past forty-two years of my life...I have endured so many things and have had my heart broken too many times. Many people have disappointed me, hurt me and betrayed me. I have lost many jobs, moved too many times. I have had many ideas and thoughts. I have worried myself to death and have laughed myself to tears. I have been sad, lonely, angry, jealous, kind, and happy. I have lost many people I love through death, distance or simply moving on. I have said hello and goodbye many times. I have known sorrow and known what it's like to grieve. I have made many mistakes and broken many promises. I have suffered pain that I thought my heart would bust. I have also been so happy that I felt I could fly. I have been sick and healthy. And I can go on and on, the point of it all is that...I am still here, still kicking and enduring, laughing and crying, most of all - still living. I am still thinking and coming up with new thoughts while also remembering old ones. So, I put together 42 things about me or lessons I have learned. They are in no particular order, just whatever comes to mind.
  1. My children are my life.
  2. I find it hard to dislike someone who can make me laugh. I think funny is sexy.
  3. My husband makes me laugh.
  4. I work to live, not live to work. (need to work on this more)
  5. My mom is the most giving and kindest person I know. 
  6. I don't have best friends because I have my mom and sisters. 
  7. I don't like scary movies. 
  8. Everything in moderation is my rule when it comes to shopping, junk food, chocolates, alcohol and exercise.
  9. I must do something creative each weekend, that is my reward. 
  10. It took me a very long time to recognize how amazing I am. I wish I knew this in high school.
  11. Sometimes I'd catch myself missing my dad.
  12. A sincere "thank you" is always nice.
  13. I miss my grandparents. Not a day goes by that I don't think of them.
  14. I always find ways to improve myself. I am my best asset.
  15. You reap what you sow.
  16. Revenge is not necessary, same with blame.
  17. I don't own a house, but I have a home.
  18. I am not a religious person, but I do pray to Someone Up there. 
  19. I also talk to my dead grandparents.
  20. I must remember that life is a journey...and to enjoy the ride.
  21. I believe in savings. 
  22. I don't believe in decaf coffee. What's the point?
  23. Bacon is the number one reason why I don't understand vegetarians.
  24. I am homesick for my cousins.
  25. I still fall-in-love with my husband after two decades. 
  26. I can't dance. 
  27. My son is a very talented and awesome dancer. 
  28. My daughter has my twisted sense of humor. 
  29. I find my days too short for all the things I want to do and all the books I want to read. 
  30. I sometimes read the dictionary for fun. 
  31. I find it so hard to resist a good sale. 
  32. I dream of traveling more than I dream of owning a fancy home or cars.
  33. Being yelled at or disrespected by your kids hurt like hell.
  34. Being well dressed is a beautiful form of politeness.
  35. My clothes should be tight enough to show I am a woman and loose enough to show I'm a lady. 
  36. I want to be the kind of person I'd want to be friends with.
  37. How do people make it through life without a sister?
  38. Sometimes I have to cry and sob uncontrollably to explain how broken my heart is.
  39. I don't mind getting old(er). 
  40. I hate paying for something I can do myself.
  41. My favorite vegetable is eggplant.
  42. I am grateful for the people who broke my heart and even more grateful for my husband who made me whole again.

Well, that is it for now. Sorry, I got a little carried away in today's post. The stamps on this birthday card are not from Stampin' Up! I have been wanting to use them and thought what better time to than today, right? Have a wonderful week, everyone. Chores and errands await this birthday girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...