Saturday, April 4, 2015

Hello Life

In my profession, I have been around to see many people come and go. It's more fulfilling for me when I am helping new employees sign hiring documents compared to when I am there to present them with their final paychecks. No matter what the situation is, it makes me feel a little bit sad. The perfect adjective is actually bittersweet - when employees leave. I don't care what the statistics say or how high the unemployment rate is. It is very hard to find good employees. I am inclined to believe that perhaps, the really good ones are still employed. To me, in an odd sort of twisted way, it's like finding a soul mate. He/She does not have to be perfect, but it has to fit. Some compromise need to be made, but for the most part the set-up needs to work for both parties. The relationship does not have to be blissful, but it must be tolerable. 

When employees hand in that notice, they've more often than not have already left. I can try and change their minds (only if they are worth keeping), but only temporarily. No one searches for land if they're not ready to get-off the boat. I have real respect for people who know when to go and do it quietly. I appreciate it even more when they leave grateful and don't take anyone with them. I've had to say goodbye to co-workers who held very important roles and while awaiting for their departure, I worried how the positions would be filled. No one really is replaceable. It is very humbling to see how life continues to go on after people leave. It makes me remember that in the grand scheme of things, I am no more important than the next person. It helps me appreciate my job and my place in this world. We may limp or hit bumps from time to time after a person departs, but it's business as usual. The show must go on, so they say. So, I cannot really afford to be too proud about my significance, and definitely not too quick to conclude that I am a big deal. Only I know my value and what I bring to the table. Honestly, at the end of the day, that's all that matters. 

I still miss some people I used to work with. Most times, I think about how they always had the answers, and their contribution to my growth or how they made me smile. Sometimes, I wish I had the same courage. Then again, most often than not, I am glad I am still where I am at. After over a decade of working for the same employer, I have watched myself learn, mature and wise-up. I see myself now in a different stage in my life than when I started this journey and I have made my peace with that. I often feel I've been institutionalized (Shawshank, anyone?), and too set in my ways to go anywhere else. But deep down I am certain that I will continue as long as I am happy here... and when it's time to leave, I will be the first person to know it. When that time comes, I will be ready because things have run its course...and I will welcome change like I welcome the arrival of a new season.

My paper crafting hobby has been my refuge from the outside world. It has been my outlet and it definitely is the one thing that keeps me sane. That is why I want to share this card that says it all.

I used sponge daubers to create an Ombre effect on the paper












Card Recipe

Stamp Set: Hello Life (137136)
Paper: Card stocks in Strawberry Slush and Whisper White
Ink: Classic Stampin' pads in Strawberry Slush, Blushing Bride, Pink Pirouette and Crisp Cantaloupe, Memento Ink in Tuxedo Black
Tools & Accessories: Stacked with Love Designer Washi Tape (137789), Project Life Corner Punch (135346), Itty Bitty Accents Punch Pack (133787), Thick Baker's Twine in Crisp Cantaloupe (135636), Gold Sequin Trim (132983), Rhinestone Basic Jewels (119246), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), Sponge Daubers (133773)

Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...