Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Lesson in Letting Go

This past week I turned over a few of my accounting duties to someone we recently hired in the office. I had to show this new employee my process, my short-cuts and my cheat sheets. I sat there and watched as my worksheets got renamed and moved around. I explained patiently as my system was questioned. There was a little discussion on how to apply a refund and this new person drawing a diagram of the debits and credits so I would understand. I felt insulted that I had to excuse myself in order to keep my cool. To make the story short, my boss confirmed that I was correct. I had no doubt. It was one dispute I didn't care to pursue because I just knew. For the past eight years those were my duties, month-in and month-out, year after year. I have created many of the worksheets from scratch and improved on the others. When I couldn't balance, I figured out why or how to fix it. I knew them by heart. I guess I can say I have taken ownership of them. I realized that I didn't care so much that someone doubted me, it's the letting go that unexpectedly bothered me. It's that lingering question in my head, "What's next?" In this unstable economy and high rate of unemployment, it worries me how secure my position is with the company. As someone new comes along, "Am I being replaced?" my paranoia whispers. I think I know better, so I just have to focus my attention and energy now on remembering that I have more things to learn in other areas of my job. I am looking forward to being able to do more HR duties and to finally work on projects in my list that I didn't have the time to do before. I look forward to change and growth. However, the truth still remains that as I close this chapter of my job and relinquish the duties to someone else...that I have become attached to the routine. I was not fully aware of it before that they were important to me. I have learned the lessons of patience, persistence and organization from them. Solving and finding the discrepancies have challenged me and have provided me small victories that made me happy. So, yes I am sad to let go, but I also know I must move forward to remain (if that even makes sense).
 

Card Recipe

Stamp Set: Serene Silhouettes (Wood 127322 Clear 127324)
Paper: Card stocks in Old Olive, Cajun Craze and Shimmery White Paper (101910)
Ink: Classic Stampin' pads in More Mustard (126964), Cajun Craze (126965) and Old Olive (126953), Black StazOn Ink Pad (101406)
Accessories and Tools: Big Shot Die Cutting Machine (113439), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), Argyle Embossing Folder (127750), Aqua Painters (103954), 1/2" Striped Satin Ribbon (127837), Glue Dots (103683

Well, that's all for now. We are off to my mom's for breakfast. Thanksgiving is next week and I am very excited because my son is coming home tomorrow. Have great week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...