Sunday, January 15, 2012

S.W.A.K.

When I was in high school, my best friend and I used to send each other notes. I remember that we borrowed lipsticks from our moms, put it on only so we could S.W.A.K. (Sealed with a Kiss) the scented stationery envelopes. I still have all our letters, cards and notes we passed in class. This was in the 1980's, so clearly we couldn't have even imagined back then the technology that texting or the internet will bring forward twenty years. I am a card maker and I wish people still write letters or send notes to each other. I am thankful that I lived through the era when I wrote and received love letters. Obviously, I still send handmade/hand stamped greeting cards, but admittedly I don't write letters anymore. I type them when I really have to and often they are attached in e-mails.

I remember when we first came to United States, I was so homesick and the only thing that kept me going was waiting for letters from my boyfriend (my husband now) in the Philippines. The wait was agonizing, but the feeling when I'd open the mailbox and find letter(s) from him - priceless. I also remember going to school and working all day and staying up all night writing to him about silly things or just giving him a recap about my day; I'd run to the post office early the next morning to mail it. Nowadays, everything is instantaneous. People are very impatient. Sadly, sometimes I am also guilty of not even picking up the phone anymore to call friends or family. I just text or find out what's going on in their lives via Facebook and vice versa. We've stopped talking, writing and most unfortunately, we've stopped being thoughtful. Not many people even buy gifts anymore or put enough thought and effort into buying someone a gift. They just send gift cards or e-gift cards. Personally, I buy and send gifts...unless the recipient requests a gift card. Oh well, I better put a stop on this litany because I will not get to post my card.



Card Recipe


Stamp Set: S.W.A.K. (120861), Valentine Love (Wood 122695 or Clear 122697)
Paper: Whisper White, Pretty in Pin, DSP (Retired was on clearance)

Ink: Real Red Craft and Classic Stampin Pad Real Red (103133)

Accessories: Big Shot, Scallop Envelope Bigz Die (113462), XL Oval Punch (119859), Scallop Oval Punch (119856),  Scented Stampin Emboss Powder in Cherry (127035), Stampin' Dimensionals, 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon in Pretty in Pink (Retired was on clearance)

I used the Real Red Craft ink on the lips stamp and then emboss with the scented embossing powder from the new Occasions Mini Catalog, cut it out and then adhere it with dimensionals to give it a raised 3D effect. It's really nice and very appropriate for your special someone. I am sending this to Patrick Dempsey. Hahaha!

That's it for today. I have a very long list of chores and errands to do. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...