Sunday, July 31, 2016

Christmas in July

I don't know if it's getting older or stress or perhaps both, but I've been seeing my dead paternal grandmother in my dreams lately. Two days ago, as I was getting ready for work and I had this black top on trying accessories I was suddenly taken back to a memory in my childhood with my grandma standing in front of a mirror getting dressed. I'm not completely certain if it was a dream or something that actually happened when I was a little girl. Heck, it was probably from a movie or a book I read years ago. Who knows? Have you ever had moments like that? You'd be going about your day like you always do and then all of a sudden you'd stop and try to recall if you've done that same exact thing before sort of like deja vu? I notice that it's been happening to me a lot the past four months or so. I get flashbacks. Some are just bits and pieces, faces from my past, voices of people I've met, places I've been to. Then there are some that I've stuffed way deep down my memory vault and they emerge with such clarity I'd sometimes have to take a really deep breath and remind myself that the past can no longer hurt me. 

Anyway, my memory of this particular event was so vivid. We were in my grandmother's room in front of her vanity and she was wearing a custom tailored black dress with black lace on the collars subtly tucked in on the lapel. She put on her diamond stud earrings and a long gold necklace with a medallion/locket pendant, then she looked down at me and said, "Gold always with black - always." She spritz perfume on her with her eyes closed and then walked out. So, I too, grabbed a gold necklace with a compass pendant that morning to go with my black top. The entire day my grandma was on my mind. I thought I even smelled her at one point while I was on the phone. I believed she was with me that day. For no particular reason, perhaps just to remind me that she loved me and that she's still looking out for me. Oh, how I miss her so. 

When I see my kids, nieces and nephew with my mom, it always makes me wonder if they will carry with them the same feelings as I have for my grandparents when they become adults. I hope they will. Different types of memories for sure, but fondness and longing will be there nonetheless. 

Oh well, I want to share with you these cards we made in our Christmas in July Cards class two weeks ago. Aren't they all so adorable? 
Snow Place stamp set with Snow Friends Framelits Dies
Flurry of Wishes stamp set with Flower Medallion and Snow Flurry Punches. 
Reason for the Season stamp set with Festive Flower Builder Punch. I love traditional Christmas cards and colors. That's the Christmas I know so naturally, I always circle back to that no matter what the trend is. 
Peaceful Pines stamp set with Perfect Pines Framelits Dies and Oh, What Fun stamp set for the sentiment
Moroccan Nights stamp set - not really a Christmas stamp but they looked like ornaments to me as soon as I saw them, so I gave it a shot. Not bad, right?
Thank goodness, I managed to post these cards while it's still July. My life has been so hectic I've even been too tired to make cards. Well, that's all for now, have a great Sunday, everyone! Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...