Sunday, May 25, 2014

World Treasures

This year, we are celebrating our 25th year here in United States. Perhaps it's mid-life crisis or just plain nostalgia, but lately I find myself looking back and sort of retracing my steps. Twenty five years, that is a long time, a life time to some people. I am amazed at how far I've traveled, and I mean that in a symbolic way - because I really am not much of a traveler. I guess, it's been more of a tumultuous journey...that now when I look around at my life and see nothing but goodness, I have this ever present angst that all of these will soon end.

A little over a week ago while waiting in line to check-in for a flight at the airport with my mom, I was approached by an older Filipina who reluctantly asked me if I was so and so's grand daughter. My immediate reaction was it was a scam. However, this woman knew both my grandparents and mentioned places and people I have vague memories of from my childhood. She said her mother was my grand father's cousin (I don't know how many times removed) and that my grandpa used to take me to their house when I was a little girl. She said she also came to ours often to visit. She recognized my mom and knew my dad. She mentioned relatives from back home that I have not seen in ages. She said she'd been looking at me and even told her husband that she thought she knew me and who I possibly could be. I told her she has an unbelievable memory to remember me when I have not lived in the Philippines for 25 years. I had goose bumps while this whole thing was going on, because it was almost oddly impossible and something I thought only happened in movies. Meeting her made me suddenly homesick. It made me a little sad when she said I looked like my grandma. How I wished I could call her that night to tell her about my encounter with a mysterious relative. We ended our meeting with a hug. I walked away shaking my head, things like this rarely happens and I was in awe. It made me wonder how much people really change. Haven't I? When I think of myself I still see me as a precarious young woman trying to make sense of the world. I could still see my very slender and charming self at clubs or college parties with friends. Regrettably, now at forty-something I feel I am no longer slender or charming, I have not stepped in a club in almost two decades and the saddest of all, I think I'm friendless. So, how's that for a bummer?

This is a step-up CASE from a swap I received from Convention two years ago.  I also changed the color combo.














Card Recipe

Stamp Set: World Treasures (W 132100 C 126767)
Paper: Card stocks in Real Red, Tempting Turquoise and Very Vanilla
Ink: Classic Stampin' pads in Real Red, Tempting Turquoise and Metallic Encore Gold Pad (132141)
Tools & Accessories: Big Shot Die Cutting Machine (113439), Apothecary Accents frame lits (127003), Heat Tool (129053), Embossing Powder in Gold (109129), Border punch (retired), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430)

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend, everyone. Thank you for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...