Sunday, October 7, 2012

Celebrating Mom

I've had such a hectic few weeks, I apologize that I have been away. We celebrated mom's 60th birthday two weekends ago. It was Christmas last year when we were all reunited as a family and it was a very nice treat to be with everybody again. I took mom to my hair stylist as a birthday gift. My mother is the most generous woman I know, and yet refuses to spend anything on herself. So, I introduced her to my hair colorist, so she knew that they don't come in boxes from the drug store. Hahaha. I watched my mom sitting on the other side of the salon when I suddenly remembered sort of a similar event twenty-six years ago when she brought me to the beauty parlor to get my makeup and hair done for the prom. I remember how it made me feel like a grown-up sitting there with older women, getting pampered. It made me feel good that I can now return the love.

I will always remember my mother as a beautiful (still is), very classy and stylish woman in her much younger years. It made me a little bit sad to realize that she and I seem to have gotten older in a flash. Seems to me like only a few days ago I was this very difficult teenager fighting with her every chance I got. And now I am a mom with a son in college and my very own daughter who fights with me "every chance she gets", and she is a grandmother five times. We are both entering the next stage of our lives...I am heading to my mid years and my mom on to the afternoon of her life.

Since my step dad passed away in July, I have been my mom's bookkeeper and adviser. Our reversal of roles tug at my heart with fear that if time follows the natural order of life, my sisters and I will one day face the painful reality of burying our mother. It breaks my heart to even picture a world without her. To not hear her voice or her laugh...it's agony. Oh well, the best remedy is to celebrate each and every day and cherish our moments together now.


I want to share with you the birthday card I made for my mom. I just love the new In Colors. I am also learning to love the new stamp pads. The new embossing folders are so beautiful.

Card Recipe

Stamp Set(s): Bordering Romance (Wood 125480, Clear 125482), Loved Ones (retired)
Paper: Card stocks in Summer Starfruit, Midnight Muse, Raspberry Ripple, Gumball Green and Whisper White.
Ink: Basic Black Classic Stampin' pad (126980), Midnight Muse Classic Stampin' pad (126860), Stampin' Write markers
Accessories: Embossing Folders in Framed Tulips (121809) and Fancy Fan (127751), Labels Collection Framelits (125598), Scallop Oval punch (119855), Pearl Basic Jewels (119247), Blender Pens (102845), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), 3/8" Stitched Satin ribbon in Summer Starfruit (126846).

Have a wonderful week, everyone. Fall is definitely in the air...and it brings me joy to wake-up every morning and feel the crisp cool air in my bones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...