Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Beautiful Birthday

I just finished reading this book titled, The Art of the Handwritten Note by Margaret Shepherd. I found it quite enchanting. Yes, you read it right...it was an enchanting read. So much so that I ran to Office Depot in search for a fountain pen and ordered a set of stationery, determined to reclaim my love for handwritten letters. I am so fortunate that I knew what it was like to receive handwritten letters from friends and love letters in a scented stationery from a very special boy (who years later became my husband). Believe it or not, I have a suitcase full of letters and mementos from the 1980's. My husband and I wrote so many letters to each other back in the day, especially when he was still in the Philippines and I moved to United States. The World Wide Web was not around yet, and we relied on ridiculously expensive overseas phone calls and snail mails to communicate. My very little paychecks and that of my mother's went to the phone company. I can still feel the anticipation and excitement of checking the mail box every day hoping to find a letter or letters from him and from friends back home. I also wrote to him every day that I got to know the lady named Cathy at the post office, which was nothing more than a tiny closet at a Home Federal bank.

How fast time has changed. With the invention of the internet, texting and social media, it seems no one takes the time and effort to hand write notes and letters any longer. We've traded art for convenience. Yet, here I am with my handmade cards. I've heard people call it a waste of time. I just hope the wonderful people I send them to do not think so. I hope they feel appreciated and special that in this day and age I still take the time to create something to show that I am thinking of them.


Card Recipe

Stamp Set: Beautiful Birthday (125562)
Paper: Tea for Two DSP (129311), Card stocks in Calypso Coral and Very Vanilla
Ink: Classic Stampin' pad in Calypso Coral
Tools & Accessories:  Big Shot Die Cutting Machine (113439), Ovals Collection Framelits Dies (129381), Paper Doilies Tea Lace (129399), 5/8" Flower Trim (126869), Large Pearl Basic Jewels (125577), Sponge Daubers (102892), Stampin' Dimensionals (104430), glue dots (103683)

Thank you for stopping by. I hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...