Friday, June 1, 2012

Retired BNF Friday #8

My son's graduation was last night. So, together with my hubby, daughter, mom and younger sister - we endured the scorching heat, thirst and the crowd to watch the graduation ceremony in their football stadium. We got there two hours before it started to secure a good parking spot and seats. We succeeded in both. We amused ourselves by watching other people walk-by. I just love how we can always find something to laugh about. It made the wait bearable.

As the graduating kids walked to their seats with the music playing on full blast, I was flooded with all these emotions and felt a little mournful. I remembered how I was walking up to the auditorium to receive my High School diploma a little over two decades ago. It felt like I was just that young and naive a "few" days ago. Oh, how I thought I knew it all back then! Memories sure have a funny way of sneaking up on you. They played the same music during my graduation, same young faces in their cap and gown, overall same speeches. Yet, I have not evidently stayed the same. Instantly, I had a flashback of how this precious boy came into my life eighteen years back; how there were plenty of times as a young mother I doubted my ability to provide him a good life...then there I was watching him graduate from High School. In the midst of it all, my husband and I looked at each other both teary-eyed and without saying anything we both knew that this special day was ours to celebrate as well. We made it! We didn't spoil our kids, but we also know that we have given them better lives than we had. I think that's really the bottom line of good parenting: to hope that we can provide our children a better future and instill in them the value of family. I have two weeks with my son here at home, and then he will go to Southern California to work this summer, and then off to college. I am sad to see him go, yet I am proud that he keeps telling me that he's ready. I want to see him experience life with all its pain and glory. I hope to receive post cards from all his travels. I hope all the wonderful things his heart can hold. Through it all, I want him to always remember his way back home.

So, today's card is for my dear hubby and me. Cheers to you us, indeed!


Card Recipe

Stamp Set: Cheers to You
Paper: Crushed Curry, Melon Mambo, Textured Razzleberry, Pumkin Pie, Pacific Point and Whisper White card stocks
Ink: Basic Black Stampin' pad, Stampin' Write Markers
Accessories: Embossing folder in Squared Lattice, 1 3/8" Square Punch, Crushed Curry Polka Dot ribbon, Stampin' Dimensionals

Well, that's it for today's post. It will be so nice to be able to move at a slower pace every morning...no rushing the kids to get them to school. Cheers for summer vacation! Thank you for stopping by. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2017

Merry Christmas, everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my mom's last night. Lots of great food: lechon (Filipino ham), pa...